Jun 28th, '16, 21:28

Fashion in Teaware – or what’s up with the side handles?

by Bok » Jun 28th, '16, 21:28

I don’t know about you lot, but it seems to me that nowadys side-handle teapots are all the rage!
They keep popping up everywhere and even potters who have done straight handles for almost all their working life switch to side handles!
In Taiwan that is. But looking around instagram and other media it seems to be the new craze.

Previously mostly found in the Japanese tea arts they overtake the Chinese way too.

Each their own, me myself I do not like to use the side-hendled pots. Maybe it just needs more practice, but I feel I have better control with a straight handle. Then again I am left-handed which makes things more complicated as lefties are more rare… :mrgreen:

Anyways, just an observation :mrgreen:
Everything is subjected to trends and fashion, even our beloved way of tea.

Jun 28th, '16, 22:47
Vendor Member

Re: Fashion in Teaware – or what’s up with the side handles?

by jayinhk » Jun 28th, '16, 22:47

Bok wrote:I don’t know about you lot, but it seems to me that nowadys side-handle teapots are all the rage!
They keep popping up everywhere and even potters who have done straight handles for almost all their working life switch to side handles!
In Taiwan that is. But looking around instagram and other media it seems to be the new craze.

Previously mostly found in the Japanese tea arts they overtake the Chinese way too.

Each their own, me myself I do not like to use the side-hendled pots. Maybe it just needs more practice, but I feel I have better control with a straight handle. Then again I am left-handed which makes things more complicated as lefties are more rare… :mrgreen:

Anyways, just an observation :mrgreen:
Everything is subjected to trends and fashion, even our beloved way of tea.
Forgot you were a lefty too! I have a left handed Tokoname kyusu. The only way I drink sencha. I prefer straight handles too, though.

Jun 29th, '16, 09:58

by daidokorocha » Jun 29th, '16, 09:58

Left handed as well. Though, I am fairly ambidextrous and do not have too many issues. I am not sure if I have a preference, but certainly you get straight handles in Japan as well.

Jun 29th, '16, 11:18

by kyarazen » Jun 29th, '16, 11:18

lefty here but i'm totally ok with right handed kyusus.

in terms of pour aesthetics kyusus are more "inwardly", straight handed pots are more "outwardly".

there's also a type of handle and spout that is close to each other.. and perhaps the most "humble way" to pour :D

Jun 29th, '16, 12:16
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jun 29th, '16, 12:16

Wow, four southpaws!

Jun 29th, '16, 13:28

by victoria3 » Jun 29th, '16, 13:28

I'm also a lefty that uses right handed kyusu with no problem, ambidextrous. For hotter brews, like oolong, I only use a handled traditional Yixing pot or handled glass. With oolong my hand would get too hot with a kyusu, plus the steeping pour is too close to the wrist.

Jun 29th, '16, 13:29
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jun 29th, '16, 13:29

Five and counting! :D

Jun 29th, '16, 21:35

by Bok » Jun 29th, '16, 21:35

Interesting feedbacks so far!
I am also quite ambidextrous, but I still prefer the straight handle. I find it also more pleasing to look at. Exception being the ones that have handles made from other materials than clay.
victoria3 wrote:I'm also a lefty that uses right handed kyusu with no problem, ambidextrous. For hotter brews, like oolong, I only use a handled traditional Yixing pot or handled glass. With oolong my hand would get too hot with a kyusu, plus the steeping pour is too close to the wrist.
I had this issue for water kettles, but for brewing tea, even oolongs, that shouldn’t be a problem if the pot is well made.
Sometimes potter do not really understand how tea brewing works and simply decide things based on looks rather than function.

Jun 30th, '16, 13:12

by debunix » Jun 30th, '16, 13:12

Lefty loving my one lefty kyusu, but also happy with my righties and straight handled pots. I would love more lefty selections, however.

Jun 30th, '16, 14:19
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jun 30th, '16, 14:19

Wow, now six and counting. Ergonomically speaking the side handle was a revolutionary idea, but I think it looks odd on a Yixing. The side handle teapot is kind of like a tonfa vs a straight stick.

Jun 30th, '16, 17:18
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Jun 30th, '16, 17:18

:lol:

Yeah, lefty here, too.

Out of the 8 or so kyuusu that I have, only 1 is a lefty. I use it at work, where my tea station is at my left side, so I have to admit that it feels really, really quite nice that way. :mrgreen:

As for the side-handle question, Bok, I was curious -- are you seeing the side handles done in the Japanese style ("horn" like) or in the typical fashion ("loop" like) but on the side instead? I only ask because I did see a loop-on-the-side once...

Jun 30th, '16, 21:42

by Bok » Jun 30th, '16, 21:42

Drax wrote::lol:

Yeah, lefty here, too.

Out of the 8 or so kyuusu that I have, only 1 is a lefty. I use it at work, where my tea station is at my left side, so I have to admit that it feels really, really quite nice that way. :mrgreen:

As for the side-handle question, Bok, I was curious -- are you seeing the side handles done in the Japanese style ("horn" like) or in the typical fashion ("loop" like) but on the side instead? I only ask because I did see a loop-on-the-side once...
Mostly loop and handles made with wood branches. For Taiwan that is.
In China they seem to copy, or at least take inspiration from the wabi-sabi kind of minimalist style japanese pots. Coarse, rugged surface clay in earthy tones, etc.

Jun 30th, '16, 22:35

by kyarazen » Jun 30th, '16, 22:35

Yeah, lefty here, too.

i think we can form a "lefty" tea group :D

Jul 1st, '16, 01:00
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jul 1st, '16, 01:00

kyarazen wrote:

Yeah, lefty here, too.

i think we can form a "lefty" tea group :D
I think we just did :lol:

Jul 1st, '16, 08:44

by steanze » Jul 1st, '16, 08:44

Side handles are quite common in Chinese kettles for boiling water. I suspect that the Japanese kyusus might have taken the side handle from there...

+ Post Reply