Dec 31st, '08, 20:17
Scrolling: scrolling

My first bodum casualty. . .

by Drax » Dec 31st, '08, 20:17

I ordered a bunch of the 9oz Bodum double-walled glasses about a month ago, and they've been great for keeping my hands from not burning while drinking tea.

I've avoided knocking them around, but this afternoon when I got back from work, I noticed the glass I was drinking from in the morning had some liquid collecting in-between the two walls. It looks like an extremely tiny crack developed at the separation point (I assume that's what it is; they're on the bottom of all the glasses).

Ah well. I thought for sure the first way I'd break one would be to smash it to pieces. I didn't even knock any of them around much. I'm not sure at this point whether I should pitch it or keep using it.

For those who have these glasses (any bodum double-walled type) -- how's your survival rate with them so far? :D

Dec 31st, '08, 21:07

Re: My first bodum casualty. . .

by Herb_Master » Dec 31st, '08, 21:07

Drax wrote:I ordered a bunch of the 9oz Bodum double-walled glasses about a month ago, and they've been great for keeping my hands from not burning while drinking tea.

I've avoided knocking them around, but this afternoon when I got back from work, I noticed the glass I was drinking from in the morning had some liquid collecting in-between the two walls. It looks like an extremely tiny crack developed at the separation point (I assume that's what it is; they're on the bottom of all the glasses).

Ah well. I thought for sure the first way I'd break one would be to smash it to pieces. I didn't even knock any of them around much. I'm not sure at this point whether I should pitch it or keep using it.

For those who have these glasses (any bodum double-walled type) -- how's your survival rate with them so far? :D
I lost one after a fortnight in the washing up bowl. Knocking it against a more solid mug. The darn things float so when I went to totally submerge it I could not see that under the washing up suds/bubbles it was about to nudge something else.

Now I wash them alone, and the survive.

Dec 31st, '08, 23:12

by Vulture » Dec 31st, '08, 23:12

I have had mine for a couple months now no problems. We will see as it goes.

Dec 31st, '08, 23:27

by Victoria » Dec 31st, '08, 23:27

I use them a lot, somes daily in a row, I go in streaks.
I have never broken one. I pop them right in the dishwasher.

But I do have one of my larger ones with a crack. It is on the top, near the top seam line. I can see it, but not feel it. And no liquid had gotten in. And I, like yourself, am wondering what to do. I should let it go, but as long as I don't see any changes, I have decided to keep using it.

Jan 1st, '09, 14:22

by edkrueger » Jan 1st, '09, 14:22

I've lost a few too. One in dish washer and two from floor or counter. My floors are concrete and my counter is marble.

Jan 1st, '09, 14:29

by kymidwife » Jan 1st, '09, 14:29

Bodum Clutz here... I owned 2 pieces... broke both. The first one broke the same day I brought it home, before I ever even used it. The 2nd lasted for a few months, and developed a big crack from clinking up against another piece in the kitchen cabinet. I know that makes me sound incredibly clumsy, but in truth I rarely have any broken glassware. Bodum has changed that trend for certain. The weight feels so unsubstantial, and both breakages came from minimal contact, not a crashing tumble. The Pavinas in particular are so beautiful, but I am no longer a Bodum fan, and not sure I will bother purchasing them again.

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

Jan 1st, '09, 14:50
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Jan 1st, '09, 14:50

Ah! :shock: I will be careful about mine from now on :P I like display of color in these cups, but do wish they were thicker and heavier. I would rather have them with thick glass wall instead of two layers of thin double wall.
By sitting in peace and doing nothing,
You make your one day worth two days.

Jan 1st, '09, 14:54

by Victoria » Jan 1st, '09, 14:54

That would defeat the whole purpose!

Not to mention they would be HOT!!

Jan 1st, '09, 15:05

by Chip » Jan 1st, '09, 15:05

It seems any flaw will cause the loss of the airtight vapor barrier and allow liquid between the layers of very thin glass. I suspect that a certan percentage are doomed to this fate due to manufacturing flaws. If you have a good one, it will serve you well, if you have one that is somehow flawed (and there is not much room for error here), the cup will fail.

I had a set that one failed the first use and water began to collect. The other is still fine.

When I contacted customer service, they promptly told me that there is NO warranty on them, but as a courtesy they would replace the set this one time. They did so with an updated and nicer looking set.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jan 1st, '09, 15:11
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Jan 1st, '09, 15:11

Victoria wrote:That would defeat the whole purpose!

Not to mention they would be HOT!!
I got the smallest size (2oz.) so heat is not a big problem for me. I fell in love with them mainly because when they hold some colored liquid, it almost looks like the colored liquid is suspended in air, very cool. :D
By sitting in peace and doing nothing,
You make your one day worth two days.

Jan 1st, '09, 15:14

by Victoria » Jan 1st, '09, 15:14

You could try using shot glasses!
:twisted:

Jan 1st, '09, 16:13

by Salsero » Jan 1st, '09, 16:13

gingko wrote: it almost looks like the colored liquid is suspended in air
Yes, that is the coolest thing about them for me too.

Jan 1st, '09, 16:33

by Drax » Jan 1st, '09, 16:33

Misery loves company. It's good to get an idea of how everybody else has been doing with these things, so thanks for sharing.

I think I'm going to have to pitch this one cup, though. I poured some hot tea into this afternoon and I heard a slight hissing sound, which I assume was expanding air pushing out through wherever the crack is. I also have a fair amount of condensation collecting on the interior surface. That can't be healthy in the long run, even if my drinking liquids never come in contact with it. . .

Jan 1st, '09, 17:22

by ABx » Jan 1st, '09, 17:22

Victoria wrote:You could try using shot glasses!
:twisted:
Hehe the Bodum I have are actually sold as shot glasses :)

I had a couple of 9 oz ones that I used as regular glasses because I like the way they look. One of them cracked when I dropped ice in them the way you do with any glass (not hard; I dropped from below the rim). I still have the other one, but I don't use it much, and when I do I am careful with any ice I put in it :-/

I've still got 3 of the smaller ones - two from a set (where the inside of the glass flares up), and one more rounded (egg shaped) one, that the other perished in a fall that would have probably broken any glass. I also have several very round ~5oz ones (not Bodum, purchased locally, but the same ones shown on the Golden Teahouse website) that have served me well for some time, though I don't often use the double-walled glass cups as much anymore for other reasons. I haven't had any problems with those, but I've also been fairly careful with them.

+ Post Reply