Jun 22nd, '08, 18:38

Baby Glass Teapot!

by Tadpole » Jun 22nd, '08, 18:38

I've had the longest headache about getting/not getting a yixing teapot for my high mountain oolong drinking habit. Get one? Not get one? Fake? Real? Shape? Clay color? Maybe I even discovered I have committment issues, since dedicating one yixing to ONE tea type drives me nuts. They are very pretty though. Hopefully sometime in the near future I'll get over this, and be able to find more than one yixing I like so I can gongfu with various teas. For now, I found the perfect solution:

I found something similar to this walking around in Chinatown, in a store called Vital Tea Leaf. They are one of those stores that does endless "free tea tastings" and stores all their teas in big glass containers to deteriorate in the light, BUT they have a great selection of teaware. So I wandered in today and found 100mL glass gongfu teapots that look like the one pictured above. Considering I drink a lot of green oolongs currently, the thin delicate glass seems appropriate. It's also nice that I could brew other types of teas in this, though a more oxidized tea would probably brew better in a thick walled gaiwan.

Cute, isn't it?
Last edited by Tadpole on Jun 22nd, '08, 19:36, edited 1 time in total.

Jun 22nd, '08, 19:05
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Jun 22nd, '08, 19:05

Most definitely cute! I have a weakness for glass.
Nice!

Jun 22nd, '08, 19:43
Scrolling: scrolling

by Geekgirl » Jun 22nd, '08, 19:43

I like it! They sell quite a few of these in the Portland teashops. SerenityArt definitely seems to be the cheapest at around $8-15. I've been brewing the lighter oolongs in a thin gaiwan, but I'd like to get a couple of those in 1 person and 2 person sizes. My hubby is really starting to get into tea, too. :shock: Except he won't make it himself, so I need a bigger pot. :lol:

Jun 22nd, '08, 19:59

by henley » Jun 22nd, '08, 19:59

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote: My hubby is really starting to get into tea, too. :shock: Except he won't make it himself, so I need a bigger pot. :lol:
There were a few of us girls that had this conversation not too long ago. It's great that our hubbies enjoy tea w/us but wouldn't it be nice if they would make us tea at least once?

Jun 22nd, '08, 21:35

by Tadpole » Jun 22nd, '08, 21:35

How about this:
Mine isn't quite a husband yet (he's a fiance/Jr. husband/Husband-in-training), and
he'll make tea for both of us, but it's always TKY in the brown Chatsford teapot-- long steeped, with honey stirred right in the pot with the leaves. That's how he likes his tea. I'll admit, it's very full bodied and aromatic.

If I want anything made in a gaiwan, or if I drink a tea in multiple steeps, I do it myself. The Jr. husband often grabs a tasting cup for a couple steepings, but no - he can't be bothered to make tea himself this way. Actually I don't trust him near my gaiwans. He'll break something for sure.

*cuddles tiny glass teapot* I think I'll name it Peatot.

+ Post Reply