Nov 9th, '20, 03:19

Yixing Teapot makes roasted tie guan yin tasteless

by jonjon1636 » Nov 9th, '20, 03:19

Hi, Im new here but have been reading alot for the past year. Ive been drinking kungfu tea style for quite sometime using a standard porcelaine teapot and started getting into yixing teapots few months ago. Ive got myself 5 yixing teapots as of now pairing it with shou puerh, wuyi oolong, sheng puerh, green oolong and lastly roasted tie guan yin. Basically I find the yixing teapot does makes the green oolong taste alot better, others were pretty much the same compared to porcelaine teapot i use to brew with.

But for the latest addition yixing teapot which I pair it with roasted tie guan yin, I find that the yixing teapot removes the roasted aroma and makes the tea tasteless as compared to porcelaine. any idea why? do I need to use it for a few sessions?

Nov 16th, '20, 01:44

Re: Yixing Teapot makes roasted tie guan yin tasteless

by DailyTX » Nov 16th, '20, 01:44

Hi there,

Without photos or the type of clay, it’s hard to answer your questions. An educational guess is that your new yixing is a zini pot which it’s typical to take away flavor. If you insist on using that pot for TieGuanYin, once that yixing pot is seasoned, it will take away less flavor over time.

Good luck,

Dailytx

Nov 16th, '20, 06:01

by jonjon1636 » Nov 16th, '20, 06:01

DailyTX wrote: Hi there,

Without photos or the type of clay, it’s hard to answer your questions. An educational guess is that your new yixing is a zini pot which it’s typical to take away flavor. If you insist on using that pot for TieGuanYin, once that yixing pot is seasoned, it will take away less flavor over time.

Good luck,

Dailytx
Hi!
Thanks for the reply, sorry for not being specifc ealier. Yes, you are right, itis a zini teapot. Now that you mention I remember reading somewhere here that zini will take away the flavours. Would you recommend me to switch to a zhuni pot instead?

Nov 18th, '20, 04:25

by jonjon1636 » Nov 18th, '20, 04:25

Hi,
I just want to give an update on my latest findings and conclude the matter of this topic.

After much reading, I try out zhuni with the roasted tie guan yin and to my suprise it did slighly enchance its aroma and flavour. Getting into yixing really needs some experimenting.

Also I did a side by side comparison with the teas I paired with yixing with a gaiwan and found out that:
1. young sheng pu pair with zini did make the tea much smoother and enchance its taste. this is the biggest difference I can tell amoung others.
2. green oolong pair with jiangponi did make the tea taste less vegetable and smoother.
3. wuyi oolong pair with dichaoching clay did enhance the roasted aroma and sweetness but its very subtle.
4. shou pu pair with zini, cant tell any difference compared to gaiwan.

I was sceptical with yixing teapots at first but Im suprise it really did help improve some teas.

+ Post Reply